GREEK ORTHODOX PATRIARCHATE OF ALEXANDRIA AND ALL AFRICA.
HOLY METROPOLIS OF PELUSION (PORT SAID) - EGYPT.
His Eminence PANTELEIMON (in civil life: GEORGE - EFTHYMIOS LAMPADARIOS), Archbishop of the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pelusion (Port Said), was born on the Greek island of KALYMNOS on the 14th May 1955. His parents Pantelis and Kalliope immigrated to the U.S.A. and from 1958 till September 1968 he lived in the city of Bridgeport, Conneticut - U.S.A. In 1966 he received the American citizenship. In September 1968, he returned to Greece with his parents. Since 1975 he joined the Greek Orthodox Clergy and served in various positions in different countries till this day. On the 23rd November 1999 he was elected unanimous by the late Pope and Patriarch PETROS VII and the members of the Holy Synodas the 1st Bishop of the newly established Greek Orthodox Diocese of Ghana,which includes also the following countries: Gambia, Côte d' Ivoire, Liberia, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Sierra Leone, Senegal, Mali and Burkina Faso. On the 24th October 2004 he was elected unanimous by the Pope and Patriarch THEODOROS II and the members of the Holy Synod as the new Metropolitan of the Holy Metropolis of Pelusion (Port Said) – Egypt.
His Eminence Panteleimon received the following education:
- School Certificate from the “NICEFORION HIGH SCHOOL”, 1968-1974.
- Degree from the “RIZARIOS” Seminary, 1974-1976.
- Honours Degree in Theology from the “CAPODISTRIAN” University of Athens, Department of Theology, 1982-1986, (with three distinctions).
- Masters Degree in Classics (Greek) from the “RAND AFRICANS UNIVERSITY” of Johannesburg, S. Africa, 1990-1992, (with high distinction, “CUM LAUDA”).
- Diploma in Computer Programs from ANKO, 1996.
His Eminence Panteleimon is a professional in the following arts:
- BYZANTINE RELIGIOUS ART.
- RESTORATION OF OLD WORK OF ART.
He assisted in the restoration work on the historical churches:
“Panagia Castrou” in Leros-Greece, and
“Panagia Keharitomeni”, Hora-Kalymnos-Greece.
On his own, he restored the holy icons of the historical churches of
1.”Archangel Michael, Asomatos”, Asfendiou-Cos-Greece,
2. “St. Demetrios”, Haihoutes-Asfendiou-Cos-Greece and
3. “Panagia Amaniou”, Cos-Greece.
His Eminence Panteleimon received the following ordination:
- Monk on the 21st April 1975.
- Deacon on the 25th May 1980.
- Priest on the 6th December 1983.
- Bishop of Ghana and All West Sub-Saharan Countries on the 30th November 1999.
- Archbishop of Pelusion (Port Said) on the 24th October 2004.
He served as a priest in the parishes of:
1. St. John, the Baptist, in Kalymnos - Greece (1983-84, 1986-87).
2. Pantanassa Greek Orthodox Church, in Johannesburg - South Africa (17th December 1987- October 1992).
3. General Preacher of the Greek Community of Cape Town - S. Africa (December 1992 – July 1993).
4. General Preacher for Kalymnos – Greece (August 1993 – September 1995).
5. St. Paul, in Linopoti, Cos - Greece (September 1995 - May 1996).
6. St. George’s Cathedral, Cape Town - South Africa, as General Vicar (May 1996 – 19th March 1997).
7. The Annunciation of the Theotokos in Alexandria - Egypt and as Patriarchal Vicar of Alexandria (20th March 1997 - 23rd November 1999)
His Eminence Panteleimon received the following Awards:
- From the GREEK ORTHODOX PATRIARCHATE OF CONSTANTINOPLE for his service to the Youth, in 1993.
- From the SOUTH AFRICAN HELLENIC EDUCATIONAL AND TECHNICAL INSTITUTE (SAHETI) on the 21st March 1993.
His Eminence Panteleimon served in the following positions:
- As a monk in the Holy Monastery of St. Panteleimon, Kalymnos-Greece, from 1975-1987.
- As Deacon in the Holy Archdiocese of Kalymnos-Greece from 1980-1983.
- As parish Priest in the Parish of St. John the Baptist, Hora Kalymnos-Greece from 1983-1987.
- As parish Priest in the Parish of PANTANASSA, Johannesburg - S. Africa, from 1987-1992.
- As General Preacher in the Greek Community of Cape Town, S. Africa, from 1992-1993.
- As General Preacher in the Archdiocese of Kalymnos-Greece, from 1993-1995.
- As parish Priest in the Archdiocese of Cos – Greece, from 1995-1996.
- As a teacher of Religion Instructions in The Hippocration General High School of Cos - Greece from 1995-1996.
- As General Vicar in the Archdiocese of Cape Town - S. Africa, from 1996-1997.
- As Patriarchal Vicar of Alexandria of Egypt, from 1997-1999.
- As 1st Bishop of the Holy Diocese of Ghana from 1999 -2004.
- As Archbishop of the Holy Metropolis of Pelusion (Port Said)- Egypt from the 24th October 2004.
His Eminence Panteleimon is the author of the following books:
- The Castle of Hora–Kalymnos, 1986. (In Greek).
- The Castle of Hora–Kalymnos, 1995. (In English).
- The Wall Paintings of the Castle of Hora–Kalymnos, 1987. (In Greek).
- The Wall Paintings of the Castle of Hora–Kalymnos, 1995. (In English).
- South African Sunday’s Sermons, vol. 1, Johannesburg, 1989. (In English).
- South African Sunday’s Sermons, vol. 2 & 3, Johannesburg, 1991. (In English).
- The Orthodox Daily Diary, Johannesburg, 1990. (In English).
- Drops from the Gospel, Kalymnos-Greece, 1996. (In Greek).
- The Holy Cross of St. Constantine Church in Telendos, Kalymnos 1995. (In Greek and English).
- The 4rth Crusade and the Theological Dialogue between the Greeks and the Latins from 1204-1216, Kalymnos-Greece, 1995. (In Greek).
- Divine Liturgy, Johannesburg, 1990. (In Greek and English).
- Hieratikon, Accra-Ghana, 2001. (In Twi).
- Divine Liturgy, Accra, 2001. (In Twi).
- Divine Liturgy, Accra-Ghana, 2002. (In French).
- Chronicles of the Missionary Work in Ghana. 2000, vol. 1, Accra-Ghana, 2001. (In English).
- Chronicles of the Missionary Work in Ghana 2000, vol. 1, Thessalonica-Greece. 2003. (In Greek).
- Chronicles of the Missionary Work in Ghana. 2001, vol. 2, Accra-Ghana, 2003. (In Greek and English).
- The Official Visit of His Beatitude, PETROS VII, Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria and All Africa. 25th September – 4th October 2002, Accra-Ghana, 2003. (In Greek-English-Twi).
- The Orthodox Teachings. The Catechism of the One, Holy, Apostolic and Catholic Eastern Orthodox Church. (To be published in English).
- The Holy Gospel for the yearly daily services in Twi (Handwritten). (Is in the progress of being published).
- Monthly Newspaper “ORTHODOXIA” (in Greek and English).
AS BISHOP OF GHANA.
During the five years of diakonia as Bishop of Ghana His Eminence, through the Grace of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, had accomplished the building of the following projects:
- St. Peter & Paul’s Business Collage in Larteh – Ghana.
- Primary School in Adandan - Ghana.
- Primary School in Abukyekwa – Ghana.
- Primary School in Akropong – Ghana.
- Primary School in Kwansimwa – Ghana.
- Primary School in Domeabra –Ghana.
- In Accra.
- In Gambia.
- The Nativity of the Theotokos in Odena Ogua – Ghana.
- St. John the Theologian in Abodom – Ghana.
- St. Euphemia / St. Stephen in Abukyekwa – Ghana.
- St. Catherina / St. Margarita / St. James in Afransis – Ghana.
- St. Andrew the fool in Christ in Swedru – Ghana.
- St. Mark the Apostle and Evangelist in Swedru –Ghana.
- St. Artemius in Edusian – Ghana.
- St. Peter the Apostle in Adandan – Ghana.
- St. Charalampos / St. Peter / St. George in Adeiso – Ghana.
- The Stylites Saints / St. Paul in Peki – Ghana.
- The Annunciation of the Theotokos in Breman – Ghana.
- The Assumption of the Theotokos in Kasoa – Ghana.
- The Assumption of the Theotokos in Antseanse – Ghana.
- St. Panteleimon / St. John the Baptist in Akropong – Ghana.
- The Annunciation of the Theotokos in Gomoa Fomena – Ghana.
- The Resurrection of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ in Larteh – Ghana.
- St. Matthew the Apostle and Evangelist in Essaman – Ghana.
- St. Cosmas the Aetolos in Kwansimwa– Ghana.
- The Church in Brakwa– Ghana.
His Eminence Panteleimon established the following Youth Groups:
- The Youth Group in the Holy Parish of St. John the Baptist in Kalymnos – Greece.
- The Youth Group in the Holy Parish of St. Paul in Linopoti – Cos, Greece.
- The Youth Group in the Holy Parish of Pantanassa in Johannesburg – S. Africa.
BIBLE STUDY GROUPS.
His Eminence Panteleimon established in Johannesburg – South Africa weekly Bible Study Groups for the English speaking Orthodox Youth and Adults. His Eminence published his lectures on Video and Audio tapes, distributing them to all the English speaking Greek Orthodox Communities in South Africa.
His Eminence Panteleimon during his five years of diakonia in Ghana had offered scholarships to many native Orthodox Christians to enable them to study not only Orthodox Theology, but also many other fields of modern science.